Elegance

Elegance
Elegance

Education

Education
Education

Experience

Experience
Experience

What Technology Should We Take?

Hello Blog Buddies!

On a recent holiday to New Caledonia, I was trying to decide which technical devices I should take (if any) with me. After a discussion with my husband we decided on a couple of options. But it did pose the question, what technology did we really need?


Now, before you collectively waggle a finger at me and suggest a holiday is a time to 'unplug' and remove yourself from technology, I would like to add here, that I also debated at great length about which books to take with me. This in itself is one of the reasons technology 'wins' in many families. Rather than purchase books about our destinations, we all save the trees, (and the weight) and refer to websites for 'go to' tourist spots and historical facts. Kindle converts would argue that very point here as well. (As I currently own many books that I am yet to read, I have to say I packed a couple of paperback novels.) 


Google maps versus the incredibly difficult-to-fold-back paper maps, is often discussed before embarking on foreign shores. My younger friends are 'all about' electronic maps, but I have found on several occasions, that no wifi equals no idea. So I don't think you can rely solely on your phones for directions... just yet. 

Museums and tours sometimes offer podcasts you download directly to personal devices once you are in the premises. The recordings can be paused and rewound which is a wonderful service to those of us with small attention spans... but perhaps not such a great service for people looking for a way to pass their time as a Volunteer History Expert.

Technology for creative and family history purposes is also a valid reason to pack up the plugs. I really enjoy taking and editing photographs and I do find this a relaxing process. I used to have to do this with chemicals in a darkened room. Now I can do it on my couch whilst 
watching reality television. Families can now create visual memories to share and enjoy with 
the tap of a screen.

 

So what tech did we end up taking? Well, my husband and I both took our phones, ear-phones for music and podcasts, and we also took our iPad. We primarily just used the iPad for researching what we would do the next day. We did not take a laptop... nor a Kindle-like device. I also took an extra battery charging device for my phone which I found very useful. 

So what technology do you find yourself taking on a holiday? Let me know!


No comments

Follow by Email

Back to Top